THE WOMEN'S LEADER (Nari Neta).

It was the very 1st day in the campus and we had a class in the College of Basic Science and Humanities. Being admitted to College of agricultural engineering & technology, it was inevitable to roam around the university campus to have a class here and a class there in the inter colleges of the university. And thus have us utterly exposed to the hungry eyes of seniors, especially to the 2nd years, as we were the ones, who were their elements of justification for their newly gained status. We the young minds, with full of spirits to revolutionize the face of Indian agriculture with world class technology, sitting in an under rated class room of Basic science college waited for a Mathematics Lecture. It was then a tall, decent looking boy among us, stood up and said...

“Friends, we need to choose our Class Representative (CR), and wish, all of you suggest names”

None said anything and looked with speculative eyes to this nice tall boy who have by then shown his quality of leadership to the entire class.

But what had happened to me, I didn’t know, I think it was my nature which I loosely inherited from my mother to think out of trend; thought to give a suggestion to the class. And this suggestion became my inseparable tag till the end of my four year stay in the college.

“Friends I have a suggestion, I wish we should choose a girl from our batch to be our CR.”

And then gave a super fine lecture on greatness of women and their leadership attitude. As far I remember there were few claps after my speech which receded down within seconds as I went back to the seat, with satisfaction that I made a stand for something, that to for the opposite sex.

It was only a suggestion nothing more than that. But it created rage back in Hostel No -5, the Boys hostel of Agril Engg, students. Since I was the lucky or unlucky day scholar in the batch, I was unaware of the fact that my suggestion had created new history in the pages of CAET. It was only in the next day I was rewarded for my kind suggestion.

It was all like the same day, the day previous, and we all waited in the same room of basic science college for the Mathematics Lecture. All of sudden seven to eight seniors entered the class, and enquired with full rage and anger in their eyes.

“Who among you is Gyanaranjan Mallik? Who is that boy?”

The whole class stood up, with utter respect and fear. I was almost in panic.

Again the seniors cried out, “Who is that fellow?”

I raised my hand with full of fear in my eyes.

“Come out you idiot, Nari Neta naai (The great Woman Leader isn’t it?).”

I was almost a laughing stock, among the seniors. I helplessly looked at my classmates. To the boys to whom I have just given a suggestion nothing more, I had never thought it would be spread as a joke back in the hostel. And to the girls in my batch, among whom I believed would someone with leadership quality.

I was tagged as “Nari Neta” (The Women’s leader)

Few days after every thing became enjoyable. Every now and then I was referred as the Nari Neta, even classmates preferred to keep the same nickname. Months after we had grand welcome party arranged by our seniors. That night was best, the seniors who have scolded me in basic science, greeted me with all love and affections. They remained my best seniors during the four year stay in CAET.

Time went on, the tall boy who made the starting speech, Girish, who remained a best friend, became the CR for the year. Jyotirmaya, the academician, sober, and a nice friend succeeded Girish for the rest three years. And I remained the jovial Nari Neta, whose suggestions were never taken seriously as they were never made seriously. None among the girls stood up to be the leader but always had complaints of some or other things.

I have my hopes on my juniors, whom I will never get to know, wish, they have a CR as a Girl, and the only suggestion made with utter innocence and confidence get justified.

Comments

nrusingh said…
Yes Gyaan, dear Nari-Neta. you really ignited my memory of those days. Its a very nice interpretation of a single incidence all may have forgotten.
Dear Gyaan
Really your description about our past days in the college is very good. This writing brought us back to our B. tech career.

Popular Posts